I’m a bit tea-crazy
Back in the day, I used to only drink the occasional Lipton tea, along with the Java Waves they had at the gas station before going to high school. Wow, that sure takes me back. Then with time, I slowly was introduced to the joy that is black coffee. I mainly started drinking it because the diet I started really recommended it (the 4-hour body, it really did work!). From a variety of blends to different methods of preparing it, I was fascinated. Somehow after that, maybe a few months ago, I fell off the coffee-bandwagon and jumped right into the one for tea. And man, did I fall HARD:
Oh yeah- and I didn’t add my “I don’t like” teas and my loose-leaf teas to this pile either. Another day, perhaps… Anywho, if you’re in the mood for some good tea, I may have a suggestion or 5 for you.
- Celestial Seasonings ‘Candy Cane Lane’ – this is one of the only flavors in their holiday tea collection that I liked, and I think it’s because peppermint is a flavor you can’t really mess up. It’s very invigorating to me, with a crisp, clean taste of mint. It’s wonderful to drink, and the aroma it has really penetrates your nose too.
- Twinings ‘English Breakfast’ – Not only is Twinings just a classic, but a blend like English Breakfast is just pretty great too. I prefer to drink this black tea in the morning for the caffeine perk, with no sugar or cream (although with the extras is rather delicious, too).
- Teapigs ‘Rooibos Creme Caramel’ – Oh lordie… this tea is pretty exciting, guys. I first heard about the brand through YouTube from EssieButton’s beauty channel, and I was intrigued by some of the flavors she mentioned were in the line. Plus, the name of the company is rather amusing, so once she mentioned it, that bit of knowledge was lodged in the back of my brain, forever. Fast forward a month, and I coincidentally found the brand at a grocery store! They had all the fun flavors, but I realized I’ve never tried Rooibos before. Oh-Muh-GOSH! If you like a sweeter tea, but not sugary sweet, this would be perfect for you. Seriously, go treat yo’self.
- Waitrose ‘Rooibos and Vanilla Infusion’ – a cheaper version of my new-found-love, and not the EXACT same taste, but close enough.
- PG Tips – I feel like this is a UK classic, that’s slowly creeping into the US market. There’s just something so smooth, delicious, and “easy” about this flavor that I can drink a couple cups back to back. I bought this HUGE BOX in London when I was on my honeymoon- only to realize that they DO sell PG Tips here in Hong Kong *sigh*. At least it wasn’t heavy?
- Sainsbury’s ‘Red Label Blend’ – My friend told me to hit up the grocery stores in the UK while I was there and get some of the local brews. My husband and I just happened to waltz into a Sainsbury’s, and right next to the PG Tips was this. I like it, very easy to drink, but nothing crazy-remarkable. Yet better than Liptons perhaps?
- Yamamotoyama Green tea and Oolong tea – I can easily say these are my FAVORITES for green tea and oolong tea. I used to work at an asian grocery store in my college town, and there was one customer who would always buy this brand. She was a kind, Japanese woman, and I would practice my Japanese conversation with her. She said that this brand was the BEST, and I had to try it. Once I did, I never looked back. Plus, each box is insanely cheap! I loaded up at the Korean grocery store in Chicago to bring to HK and each box was only $1.59! How can you not try it now? Go find it!
- Celestial Seasonings ‘Cinnamon Apple Spice’ – I was really craving something with an autumn flair back in November, and I picked up this little box. It is -VERY- cinnamon-y. Beware.
- Yogi ‘Vanilla Spice Perfect Energy’ – I was turned on to the Yogi brand by Glamour Wonderland, and made sure to stock up on a couple boxes when I was back in the states last November. The name sounded appealing enough, and it does not disappoint. A very mild blend, but semi-sweet and just delicious. I don’t really feel like I get a ‘pick-me-up’ of energy, but I never feel toasty and relaxed like how I do with other blends. Maybe it’s trying and I’m too resistant?
- Yogi ‘Carmel Apple Spice Slim Life’ – Again, I reached for this flavor because I was in the autumn-mood, and this blend didn’t overwhelm me like the Celestial Seasonings did. The cinnamon is much, much milder, and you can taste a slight sweet taste thanks to the apple. I like to drink this after a sweet snack, because cinnamon does help your body rev up it’s metabolism.
- Pukka ‘Detox’ – After a very fat-field trip to America, I knew I needed to cut the carbs and watch what I ate for the next week or so. While I was at the grocery store, I noticed that there was such a thing as a ‘detox’ flavor for tea, and I thought I’d give it a go. I definitely would not say this is a tea I go to for flavor. You get the main taste of fennel seed, with a slight sweet after-note from the licorice. I didn’t think I’d find it to pleasing, but it actually grows on you. I drink it every night before I go to bed for a week straight- always drink a detox tea before bed, as you’ll usually have a good bowel movement when you wake up, versus having to run to the bathroom sometime during the day.
- Teevana ‘ White Chocolate Peppermint Rooibos Tea’ – Whew, what a long name! If you have a sweet tooth, this is definitely the tea for you! Everything about this tea is sweet, especially with it’s Rooibos tea base. You do get a slight minty feel in your mouth like when you eat an after-dinner mint, which is why this would actually be a perfect lil’ cuppa right after dinner. I wouldn’t recommend drinking a lot of this at once though, it definitely became overwhelming for my husband and I and we couldn’t finish our mugs. Try serving this in small portions.
JEEZE, that’s a lot of tea to talk about. I didn’t even get into my loose-leaf Adagio blends either! We’ll save it for another time, you’re probably overwhelmed at the moment. Heck, I’m overwhelmed! I’ll sign off her kiddos, with just a question or two: What’s your favorite tea? Also, what’s the worst tea you’ve ever had? I’m always up for suggestions, and wanna steer clear of those nasty flavors. *shudders*