January Favs, Rage, & Craves
Okay, bear with me for a second, let me explain.
“Favs, Rage, and Craves”?? So if you’re familiar with the beauty bloggers and Youtube gurus, they have a monthly ritual, and they’re all in sync with it- monthly favorites. I wanna join the bandwagon too, but the hipster in me wants to make it slightly different. So I thought along with my favorites I would include one ‘rage’, AKA a thing that makes me cranky or I just down-right hate. It doesn’t need to be more than one thing, I don’t need to make these monthly entries like an essay. Along with all that, I thought I’d also add in my wish-list for things in the near future, ‘craves’. This way we can all be in the same boat, longin’ for those things we just can’t get our hands on yet (whether it be availability or just lack of $ D: ). Plus, maybe I’ll get things in my craves list in the near future, so you can stay tuned and see if I get it and post reviews.
Alright, we’ll go from L to R on this, time to dive in to the Favs!
- Apple Cider Vinegar- Homans. You guys. I had no idea how flippin’ essential this is in my life! ACV is just something I need every day, and is one of my holy grail items. I’ve been loving it for quite some time now actually, but it’s especially been essential this month. I use ACV topically as a toner (50% water, 50% ACV- NEVER PUT STRAIGHT UP APPLE CIDER VINEGAR ON YOUR FACE THATS AWFUL FOR YOU AND YOU’LL REGRET IT), and it’s great for my acne. Just popped a nasty pimple? ACV on that and it helps close up that scab, it’ll sting like hell but be strong. Horrible scab from an acne bashing? ACV on it and that scab will heal quicker. I also do a shot of it in the morning with either a glass of water or in a glass of juice, because it’s great for your to ingest as well. Seriously, I’ll make a post about the greatness that is this stuff later, but aside from diluting it with water if you use it as a toner, I’d also like to mention that it’s super important that your ACV is unpasteurized and raw/unfiltered.
- Nyx Butter Lip Balm “Brownie”- I heard about these through Beauty Broadcast’s blog and YouTube channel and seeing it on her lips made me instantly think I must have this in my life! Specifically the Brownie, which is pretty much a foolproof color for me. I definitely love the more brown-pink colors, and this was a shoe-in. For the month of January I didn’t wear much makeup because my hormonal acne was in full swing, but just to add a hint of color to my lips this did the trick. Even on days where I did wear makeup, if I didn’t bring my lip color with me and the day out was long, this stuff was in my purse 24/7 and was just so easy to put on. Plus, it’s slightly moisturizing, so win-win!
- Sonia Kashuk nail polish in “Blank Slate”- I got this as part of my Christmas gift from my friend, and was just enamored with this color for January. I don’t know where I heard this, but did you guys feel like you were kind of lost in what color polish you wanted to wear after the craziness that was December? Christmas and NYE themed colors & styles are soo easy, but what do you do for January? I leaned towards the cloudy & creamy hues, and this color was absolutely perfect. The brush is really small, which pleasantly surprised me when I was applying the polish. You can read more about it here in an haul post with a swatch too.
- Now Solutions Moroccan Red Clay Powder- I was turned on to this product from Veronica Gorgeois’s YouTube channel when she recommended how easy it was to make a simple yet effective face mask. Don’t get me wrong, I love indulging in a Lush mask, or something that’s whipped up and made for you. This, however, is super effective when you’re going through rough times with your skin (again, damn hormonal acne) and its SUPER AFFORDABLE. I was able to get my container for $6!! And you can easily get at least 15 masks out of a 6 oz. container. Yes, you gotta put a lil’ elbow grease in, but this powder is just soo efficient and effective. Also, remember my ACV obsession? Use the toner mix instead of water, and it just seemed to work wonders. A++++
- Botani Olive Skin Serum- I never heard of this brand before, but just stumbled on it when I was in search for Argan Oil here in HK. I was hesitant of putting olive oil on my face, in fear that it would clog up my pores, but it’s never caused me a problem. I think they refer to this as a serum because there are extra ingredients infused into the olive oil, vitamin A & C along with plant squalene (in short- all good things for your skin). I was really at a loss for how to handle my skin with it’s recent freak out, but this product was great to give me a good amount of moisture at night. It also helped lighten acne scars, and heal any scabs on my face quicker.
- Michael Todd Organic Lemon AHA +DMAE Toner- The website claims this is an “anti-wrinkle” toner, but don’t be fooled! This stuff pretty much seems to do everything- hydrate, disinfect, tighten, and fade scars. Although the Botani serum has helped, I think this has been the most effective product in helping my skin look normal again. Also, the scent is just fantastic! I use this only at night, as it does make your skin more sensitive. Be sure to use a SPF during the day too while having this in your skin routine.
- Nars single shimmer eyeshadow in ‘Ondine’- I try not to give in to what the beauty gurus say, but there are a couple I know I can believe in a majority of what they say, one being Anna from Vivianna Does Makeup. Her Youtube videos are always fun to watch, and I do like her blogger writing style. She mentioned this color as a perfect “one-sweep over the eyes and done” colors, and it really is. And I just realized I’m such a doofus for not having the product OPEN in the picture above. *face palm* Just do a quick google search, but Ondine is a plummy-taupe with shimmer, and just so simple and easy to work with. My goal is to never let this lil’ guy get stuck in storage, fingers crossed!
- Soap & Glory ‘The Breakfast Scrub’- If the name didn’t sell it to you, then let me indulge you s’more. This smells like graham crackers and syrup! Aside from the smell, it’s a pretty darn efficient scrub too, leaving your skin feeling polished and smooth. I usually follow up with Lush’s Vanilla Dee-Lite afterwards. And I smell daaaaaaaamn good.
Whew, that’s a lot to write about! I can understand why the gals on Youtube usually make a video instead! Truthfully, I wanted to do a video too but it’s already Feb 3rd and I just wanted to get this out there ASAP.
Alrighty, onto the next bit: my ‘rage’ topic. I’ve already mentioned it quite a few times through my favs, but it’s HORMONAL ACNE. Holy flippin’ flippity flip, this has just been a battle! Just a little back story: I was on the pill for a long time. I mean, for over 10 years, because of my acne. Long story short, but the pills I was getting in the states were a lot better than what I’ve been given here in HK, and so I decided to cut cold turkey. I stopped at the end of November, and just… wow. I had no idea my face could freak out the way it did. I was even on a great skin routine, but it got the rug pulled out from underneath it and I’ve had to make some major adjustments. Not only that, but I’ve had to add different vitamins and supplements to my meals, along with changing my diet. I think my face is finally calming down, as my hormones have had a couple months to be off the pill, but just. Dayum!
Whew, that felt good to rant out. Last, but not least, my ‘craves’! The list is pretty big, but considering I’m about to move back to the states in February and will be living out of my suitcase for probably 2+ weeks, here are some reasonable items to add to my wish list:
awesome job- thanks paint!
Trying not to be too repetitive, but with the move this month, I can’t have anything to big or bulky. So my ‘crave’ list is pretty simple and sweet:
- Bite Beauty lipstick- I don’t even care what color, as long as it looks good on me. I love the lip pencils/crayons, so very curious about a lipstick
- Too Faced La Creme lipstick- I saw a swatch of the color ‘Pink Chocolate’, and I just… neeeed ❤
- Dr. Sponge™ Original Facial Cleansing Konjac Sponge- One of my favorite YouTubers Glamour Wonderland recommended this in one of her videos, and I’m super curious. I think of it as the Beauty Blender of skincare. Fingers crossed!
- Tarte BB cream and foundation- long names, not even gonna bother writing them all until they are in my hands. But I adore Tarte, and I just want to try all their products, especially foundations. ❤
- Pai Rosehip BioRegenerate Oil- There’s a lot of hype about this oil, pretty much claiming to do everything good for your skin. I specifically want it though to hydrate my skin without clogging my pores (rosehip oil < argan oil), and enjoy the benefits of the Vitamin E in there as well.
Holy Moly, you guys made it to the end. *STANDING OVATION* Hope this proved entertaining, and the monthly Favs, Rage, and Craves will be a blog post to look forward to! Stay well and take care! ❤