Sample Sunday: Paula’s Choice
I feel like it’s been ages since I’ve written up a post for Sample Sunday. I haven’t forgotten, I promise! Rather, I’ve been testing a lot of skincare products and wanted to stick with a small group of samples at a time. With this post, you’ll be getting a 5-in-1 roundup though, huzzah! I’ll try to make them short and sweet, but let’s first talk about the brand, Paula’s Choice. This is a company I stumbled across, in search of skincare products for my hormonal acne. Their line doesn’t target hormonal acne specifically, but instead provides different categories you can search under: Acne, Anti-Aging, Eczema, Rosacea, Keratosis Pilaris, all different types of skin types and more. I think what first tipped me off to this line was customers raving about their BHA and AHA line. Many praises were sung, and the price tag didn’t seem outrageous. After researching more, their statement of being cruelty free, keeping their products fragrance free, and providing a 60-day money-back guarantee impressed me greatly. Yet what sold me on the spot was that all of their products have sample sizes available to order. This is a friggen holy grail find if you ask me- I hate it when I buy a product and hate it after the first use! So I loaded up my cart and ordered 4 different products, and was given a free sample with my order (lol). I’m not sure if everyone has such a great experience as I did, where as my order arrived in 2 days! They also sent me a catalog of all their skincare lines and products, along with a quick look into their cosmetic line. Let’s take a look at my lil’ sample haul, one by one:
- First up is the Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant. I was hoping to use a more aggressive moisturizer in my night time routine to help combat my acne. If you’re not familiar with BHA, the website says “Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant moisturizes as it exfoliates both the skin’s surface and inside the pore, reshaping the pore lining, unclogging pores and improving skin cell turnover rate. This creates a dramatic improvement in the skin’s appearance, feel, and function, leading to healthier skin. There is a great deal of research indicating that BHA (beta hydroxy acid) increases collagen production and drastically smooths the surface of skin. Additionally, BHA has antibacterial properties that attack blemish-causing bacteria. The lush texture of the 2% BHA Lotion makes skin feel satiny soft, while potent anti-irritants help calm a reddened, blotchy complexion.“. Unfortunately for me, I think the 2% wasn’t strong enough to really make a difference for my skin. I actually purchased 3 sample packets, in hopes to see a difference, yet there really wasn’t anything. I don’t have sensitive skin, so just keep that in mind if you’re considering this lotion.
- Next is the Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF30 Moisturizer. I just recently ran out of my daytime moisturizer with SPF from Apivita, and since the brand isn’t easily accessible here in the US (and I think they reformulated their product), I started my search for something new. This moisturizer is aimed towards oily/combination skin, which is something I keep my eyes peeled for since my acne is mainly caused by excess sebum buildup. The formula is very lightweight, but you can tell it’s a product with SPF versus a normal moisturizer. With some products with SPF, they tens to clog up my pores and cause acne breakouts. Luckily for me, this product DID NOT give me any negative reactions, huzzah! I actually was comparing this product to Murad’s Oil Control Mattiffier SPF 15 PA++ (got my hands on a sample from Sephora), and I was surprised to see that these both worked very similarly for me! No negative reactions and both left a matte finish on my skin- the only difference is the price tag and SPF. Paula’s Choice retails at $24 USD for a 2 oz container, where as Murad’s totals to $39.50 USD for 1.7 oz. Plus, Paula’s Choice always has some sort of promotion going on with their emails or site deals, so you know you’ll get a better deal there. The only perk Murad’s SPF moisturizer had is that after it applies and sets on the skin, your face feels luxuriously matte and smooth.
- Moving along is the free sample I received in my order, the Earth Sourced Perfectly Natural Cleansing Gel. The main focus on this product is that it’s sourced from 99% natural ingredients. Upon further inspection of their ingredients list, I’m not really that impressed. It’s a simple, easy cleanser you can use in the morning, but not really nothing worth picking up in my honest opinion.
- Another SPF moisturizer I tried was the Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF30. Yes, yes, I’m only 29, but you can never fight wrinkles too soon! In comparison to the other SPF lotion I tried, I wasn’t too impressed with this. It left a white film, and did not blend nearly as easily as the other one.
- Last, but certainly not least, is the Resist C15 Super Booster. Out of all the items I tried, this is hands down my favorite! I don’t know why, but I believe my skin responds to Vitamin C VERY well. I use 2 drops of this on my skin immediately after cleansing and toning in the morning, and I’ve seen a vast improvement in the past 5 days. Yes, 5 days! Acne cysts have gone down, scarring has lightening, and just my overall skin texture seems smoother and brighter. Be warned, this product can be a little sticky and tends to dry quickly, so you need to work fast! The company recommends mixing the booster with your moisturizer. I prefer to do my best with application, so it can sink in the skin immediately, and be “shielded” by the moisturizer I layer on top after a few minutes of letting it sink in.
In the end, after trying all of these products, I went back to Paula’s Choice and purchased the Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF30 Moisturizer and the Resist C15 Super Booster in full sizes. No matter where you live, Paula’s Choice should be able to ship to you, so don’t hesitate in browsing their collection! They also have fabulous user reviews for each product, so you can keep your eyes peeled for any red flag signs. With their reasonably prices products, I’m pretty sure you’ll find one product you’ll love within their selection. I know I have! ❤
- Skin Perfecting 2% BHA Lotion Exfoliant, $17 USD for 7 oz/ .50 cents for a sample, at Paula’s Choice website
- Skin Balancing Ultra-Sheer Daily Defense Broad Spectrum SPF30 Moisturizer, $24 USD for 2 oz/ .80 cents for a sample, at Paula’s Choice website
- Earth Sourced Perfectly Natural Cleansing Gel, $17 USD for 7 oz/ .50 cents for a sample, at Paula’s Choice website
- Resist Super-Light Daily Wrinkle Defense SPF30, $27 USD for 2 oz/ $1 USD for a sample, at Paula’s Choice website
- Resist C15 Super Booster, $45 USD for 0.67 oz/ $9 USD for a 0.12 oz sample bottle, at Paula’s Choice website